Vår Energi ASA (OSE: VAR) confirms the discovery of oil in the operated 7122/8-1S Countach well in production licence PL229 (Goliat), northwest of Hammerfest, including updated volume estimates. The well was drilled in one of the segments that form the Countach prospect. Preliminary estimates place the size of the discovery in the tested segment between 0,5 – 2,1 million Sm3 (3-13 million bbls) of total recoverable oil equivalents. The potential of the Countach prospect, in the undrilled segments, is estimated at up to 3,7 million Sm3 (23 million bbls) of total recoverable oil equivalents.
The well will now be permanently plugged and abandoned, and the licensees will evaluate drilling an appraisal well in the future.
The Countach well was drilled about 13 km northeast of the Goliat field in the southern part of the Barents Sea and 91 km from Hammerfest.
The well was drilled to a measured depth of 2958 metres and oil was encountered in the Realgrunnen and Kobbe formations. Extensive data has been collected for further assessment. The well will now be permanently plugged and abandoned.
Vår Energi is the operator with an ownership interest of 65%, while Equinor owns the remaining 35%.